Preconstruction Manager – Portland
Reports to: Director of Preconstruction Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
R&H’s mission is to deliver an exceptional building experience and we believe that starts in Preconstruction Services with excellent pre-planning and a partnership approach to every project we undertake. A great estimator is self-motivated and enjoys meeting clients and subcontractors as much as putting numbers together for a well-thought out and detailed budget.
General Position Summary:
Your primary role is to manage and estimate a project thought the Preconstruction phase, for assigned project(s) that are of medium to large size and nurture relationships with industry contacts to develop new work opportunities for R&H.
Essential Duties Include:
- Review project specifications, drawings, and lead coordination meetings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate/budget.
- Prepare complex and detailed cost estimates, and preliminary conceptual budgets.
- Prepares the estimate/budget with safe operations practices included.
- Perform detailed take-offs as necessary.
- Work with Operations counterparts to establish GMP contracts.
- Coordinate total estimating effort relevant to particular project/bid as assigned.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures.
- Represent R&H to clients, potential clients, A/E, and other contractors to provide cost engineering and cost data regarding project feasibility.
- Work on a wide variety of project types in multiple market sectors.
- Develop strong subcontractor relationships.
- Follow awarded contracts as assigned – may include estimating extra work items, change orders, credits; procuring material, etc.
- Actively participate in Business Development efforts and request for proposal responses and interviews.
- Attend and actively network at twelve industry oriented events annually.
- Participate in and invite industry contacts to at least one R&H organized marketing event.
- Document and maintain a network of industry contacts.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
- Great communication skills – written and oral.
- Attention to detail, analytical approach to problems.
- Personable and professional.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Collaborative, problem solver, hard working.
- Takes personal responsibility for issues that arise.
- Intermediate knowledge of estimating techniques and cost control, plus ability to interpret computerized cost data and systems essential.
- Requires the ability to manage multiple projects at different stages in the preconstruction process.
- Good judgment with ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- College degree preferred in construction/architecture/engineering or equivalent experience.
- Construction field experience favorable.
- Five to ten years of estimating, cost control and/or related experience.
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook, Project), Bluebeam Revu & Viewpoint.
- LEED AP, OSHA 10-Hour, Revit/CAD experience are favorable.
- Knowledge of unit prices, construction means & methods, labor productivity and our local market.
Mid-level position with little direction given. Frequently works in new and varied work conditions and the job involves a high degree of complexity.
This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
Contacts are normally made with others both inside and outside the organization. Contacts within the company are typically made within Preconstruction, Operations, Marketing, Business Development and Finance staff. Contacts made outside of the company are with a variety of people including, clients, architects and sub-contractors.
Work is conducted primarily in the Portland office, with working trips to potential construction sites, client, architect and subcontractor offices, and potential projects throughout the Portland Metropolitan area and rarely outside the area. The work week is typically Monday-Friday, but weekend work may be required. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., but incumbent is required to complete work as needed beyond 40-hours per week.