Redfox Commons is an award-winning adaptive reuse of two former 1940’s era warehouses that now serve as a 63,000 s.f. creative office development at the foot of Forest Park in Northwest Portland. The project was constructed in two phases, repurposing much of the original structure including old-growth timber that was salvaged, re-milled, and reused as exposed columns and beams. All exposed columns, beams, and joists were sandblasted in place and sealed and an extensive structural upgrade ensured today’s building codes were met. The completed development offers a light and airy environment in an industrial yet modern office campus.
- Transformer Award, Portland Business Journal
- Top Projects – 2nd Place Major Renovation, Daily Journal of Commerce
- Wood Design Award for Commercial Low-Rise, US WoodWorks
- American Architecture Award, Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design
- DeMuro Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation, Restore Oregon
The former Freeman Factory is comprised of two warehouse buildings constructed in the 1940s. To ensure structural integrity during the renovation, our team utilized a combination of scaffolding and burke braces to safely support the structure in sections. This approach allowed for demolition of the framing elements in limited sections and immediate replacement of these sections with new framing.
The building’s façade and roof features Corten, a weathering steel. These raw steel panels patina over time to a variety of shades of orange and red, further adding to the industrial charm.